Saturday, September 3, 2011

Good Morning!

You know, it's really nice to have this blog so that I can vent and just talk about things that I'm feeling. The past 2 days have been so crazy with all of the events and findings. I was so full of all kinds of emotion. I was of course.. happy, mad, sad, and most of all SCARED.  I could tell you the ins and outs of Dude's little heart. I know all of the things he has, and all of the things he doesn't have. I know where everything goes, and whether or not it should go there; if God put it there with his own hands or through a surgeon. I could tell you where every single freckle is on his whole body. I could tell you how big his pupils are, exactly what shade of blue they are. I know where every single tooth is and just by looking at his face can tell if they had been brushed. I know every little detail about his whole body except for one... his brain. So when they gave me the news, I was more scared of the unknown than anything else. What does this mean?What do we  do?Where do we go from here? There is something scary about the unknown. Through out the years of dealing with all of this, of course among all other complications that could occur stroke was always on the list and was just something I would never consider. None of them were.


I think in life, the scariest part of life, is the part that we are uncertain of. This has been no different. Now, I have a little bit of a handle on things. I got to see the actual strokes on the CT scan and all of the doctors explained everything to me. There is a difference between a stroke in an adult and a stroke in children. The biggest difference is this: You can't teach an old dog new tricks. When an adult has a stroke it is very difficult to reroute the electrical highways. In children, those highways aren't exactly worn in yet so the electrodes can stray and find a different way much easier. Since there is still a lot of development in Dominic's brain still happening, this will be a lot easier to get through than if it were me.

Today he is already moving his right side exceptionally more often than  yesterday which makes the doctors very hopeful. Swelling in his brain is the worst between 48 and 72 hours. With swelling comes lack of blood flow, so if he still isn't getting enough blood to those parts of his brain and he is gaining strength, those are positive signs. He keeps yelling out of frustration because talking is so hard for him again. We will most likely have to learn how to say a lot of words over again. We will be here for a while with his heart, and then a little longer for rehabilitation.

Everyone stay hopeful and positive! We are all going to have to do this the same way we always have... together!!! They say that it takes a village and let me tell you how thankful I am to have such an amazing village on my side. Every single one of you reading this has a special relationship with me and Dude and every single one of you has helped to make him the warrior he is today. Dude is stronger than all of us and that right there is the reason that he has been chosen for all of this. God doesn't give us more than we can handle and obviously, Dude can handle a lot!!


We are all gearing up for the first Oregon game of the season and I know it is going to make Dude feel at home when he hears the game on and all of us saying OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOduring kick off. Thanks for keeping up with us... things are going to be just fine.

xoxo
whit


10 comments:

  1. Sending up lots of prayers for Dominic and his wonderful Mamma and family! We will be cheering on Dude and the Ducks today as well! Much LOVE to you, Whit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a strong Mama and one tough little Dude. We want to give you both a hug and kiss right now. We will toast you all at the Duck Kick Off! xxo

    Trina and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Whit~~I am so glad to hear the change in your "voice". Dominic looks like he is resting comfortable. I am a Beavers fan but good luck to your Ducks!!! :) Remember I am thinking of you all! Love ya! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweetie, thanks so much for keeping us updated. It's as if we are all there with you. Just know that you and Dominic have some much love and prayers being poured your way, it would be impossible for God to ignore. My parents are going to request that Mass at St. Anne's tomorrow be said for Dominic. Love you guys so much, Pam and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you all!!! You are so strong and being as optimistic as you is a trait I wish I had! Your little guy is so strong and he must have got that from his momma! Praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whit, you are such an inspiration. You said it all when you said God doesn't give us more than we can handle. We never know why, just that whatever the reason is for such things, it's all in God's plan. Strength is something that you and your family has in common. Dude is strong because you guys are strong for him. I couldn't have asked for a better big Sister and family that you guys have been to me, I hope to only be as much support to you guys in return. Dude is a special little man and God had a beautiful plan when he chose you to be his mom :) You are stronger than you think. I love you so much. You are all in my prayers and always on my mind. Keep in touch.

    ~Love your Sister Smell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can say that you are the strongest person that I know. you are a remarkable woman, and most of all a mother. There is nothing like the love that a mother has for her child, and you love him so very much! I pray for you and your family and for dude to get better. If ever you need some one to vent to, talk with or hand to hold, or some one to pray with I am here for you. Love you To Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stefani, Victoria, Domnic, and Ryder HollingsworthSeptember 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM

    Victoria, Domnic, and I will be praying for a fast recovery gor our friend Dude. You are the strongest person I have ever heard of. As a mother myself I couldnt imagine the things you go and get through. God be with you and your wonderful little man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My own situation has left me speachless.... but I wanted to let you know I have still been praying for you all... you and Dude are simply amazing and I will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are all in our thoughts and prayers, praying for a quick recovery




    Kelly and Dewayne

    ReplyDelete