Sunday, April 21, 2019

Love Abounds

It's been so long since I've been here, in this space. Both mentally and physically. It's been 7 and a half years actually. Sitting in a hospital room, participating in rounds, making friends with everyone I can... lol. I know that's super surprising that I sit here in the ICU cracking jokes and laughing as often as I can, making friends with everyone... so uncharacteristic... but you know what? It's really worked out for me in the end.

I can't stop thinking about the parents who yell at the doctors and nurses. The ones who blame them when things go wrong. Last night I over heard a parent complaining about having to potentially go home on a medication. Complaining about how the doctors don't know what they are doing, they try this they try that and nothing is working... he was going to write a letter. TO WHOM? No really... Who are you writing the letter to? The doctor who is taking care of your child? Their team? The Attending Doctor who was at rounds this morning, in charge of the plans that are being put into action by the rest of the team on the unit? And what is your letter going to say? "Why don't you know what you're doing?"

???

I guess my point is this: Are you actually accomplishing more this way? Or anything at all?  I don't think you are. That's just one example of the type of parent I've been exposed to in my life as a cardiac mom. And I think that I've seen enough to have a bit of advice and I wanted to share my approach to the world.

Love always conquers all... right?! I believe it does. I believe it because I witness it every single day. I can count on one hand the amount of doctors and nurses that I have not cliqued with this trip... ONE HAND! And you know, it's not because they are bad at their job, we just didn't clique. But the amount of people who I have loved and even become friends with is overwhelming! Almost every attending, fellow, and nurse that has taken care of my child has a place in my heart forever.  I literally would hang out with them. That relationship started with me though. I welcomed them into my heart. I thanked them for working on my child. I made them laugh in the most serious of times and I was understanding when they were doing what they needed to do to find answers. That trust in them turned into them trusting me and they include me and my ideas at their morning meetings about my son's care. They hear me, they correct me, they ask me my opinion. They respect me as I do them.

And then...

When we got the news of Dominics neurological condition, I was showered with love from the entire unit! Hugging me in the hallway, checking in on me during their breaks, crying with me! I've had fellow's come by during rotations on other floors to check on us, surgery physician's assistants come by after their shift all because they like us! They have invested in us and they put everything they have into our care because.. well isn't it obvious? You treat your friends better than your enemies... right?

I had an incredibly precious moment where I got to finally hold Dominic in my lap for the first time since surgery. I looked at him as if he were a new born baby. You know that --> I can't stop looking at this baby because I'm afraid I'm going to miss something look? It was just like that! I was grinning from ear to ear and my heart was whole. During those moments, my nurse took pictures on her work phone (with permission) and sent them to everyone on the unit. Once again... doctors, nurses, assistants... they all poured in to congratulate us and cry happy tears with us and hug us. They even went out of their way to wash his hair with real soap and water while he was in his mama's arms. It was the most magical moment and they all wanted to be a part of it. It was so special.

The moral of my story, and I've said it before... be kind. If you have questions, ask them with love and not accusation. If you're worried, express that but again, without accusation because it's very rare that you find someone who is excited to see someone hurting, especially when they go into a career to help people. They are really trying their hardest for you. It's okay to be scared. It's okay to be worried... just don't point it at people who don't deserve it. Be loving and kind.

Because love abounds

Love to you all

Whitney

27 comments:

  1. Love does abound. You are teaching all of us. Love you Whit. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Wendie! Thank you for all that you have taught me!

      Delete
  2. Love all of this!! Love abounds and kindness always matters. So happy you were able to hold Dude! Praying for more of these moments!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's so true in every situation! I just happen to be living in this one and watching people treat my people in a way that hurts my heart...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your intimate journey with us. We are all thinking about you and are inspired by your love, light, and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh no... thank you so much for caring enough to read it. It means so much to me. Thank you for caring about humanity enough to do what you do! You are so special.

      Delete
  4. Whitney, you are a hero to me!! Your strength and loves knows no boundaries! I truly admire you. We are praying for you all daily ❤.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means so much to hear you say that. It's so lame that the internet can't deliver hugs!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just the truth as I see it hahaha

      Delete
  6. Beautifully expressed, a perfect reminder to us all on this Easter day to just be kind in everything we do daily. ❤ love, positive vibes and prayers to your entire family and of course extra for Dominic. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Whitney, thank you for your words of wisdom, of hope and love. I've waited all day for an update and sending prayers as I patiently wait. So thankful you had your baby in your arms today!!!! I'll just add, I've learned, if I'm going to complain about something to anyone... I better have already thought of or working on a solution. It really has changed how or if I complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such AMAZING advice! Otherwise it's just negative self talk. Thank you for reminding me of this. I'm sure there will be a day or even a moment where I will complain and I will remember this very conversation. Thank you again!!

      Delete
  8. You are totally right! A lot of people don't see the big picture. Love is huge and it's what Jehovah wants for us. We love you guys even in the short time we've been in contact and we pray for you daily. All of us...my dad and my brother as well. My mom was a prayer warrior and she instilled this in me. You would have loved her so much and she would have loved your family like it was her own because that's what she was about...love. I always say to my kids and anyone who will listen..when love is your motivation, it can't be wrong.

    Continued prayers for your family through this experience and even more love.

    ~Amb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so special to me that you guys love my son so much and have done everything that you have for us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and the bottom of both of Dude's hearts! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Love your wisdom Whit!! Please give all those docs and nurses a BIG hug from all of us here in Oregon!!! I appreciate them and I know they appreciate and love you too!! Life is so hard sometimes and then the unexpected happens—YOU and Dude happened for them!! I know that hospital and the people in it will never be the same!!! Love you guys so much!! Please whisper in Dude’s ear that Aunt Winna is sending big hugs to him!! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying this. I will for sure tell him for you!!

      Delete
  10. So beautiful. So eloquent. And so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this...
    You are so beautiful.
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so beautiful
    I love this
    Keep up your writing

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've filled my heart with love. Thank you for sharing�� Also, I have something to send to you. Where should I send a small package? - Rachel Fuss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying that. I truly believe that's what we are supposed to do on earth... spread love. Isn't that what Jesus wanted? I believe so at least ;)

      Our address is:
      Dominic Clark
      CVICU
      725 Welch Rd
      Palo Alto, Ca
      94394

      Delete
  14. I LOVE this Whit! A message way too often forgotten, especially in times of hardship. Such a phenomenal reminder on how to live life in general. I am so stoked you got to hold your boy, that has got to bring you so much comfort, I can’t even imagine. You amaze me yee gee feeg... keep laughing, you guys are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you. I'm so thankful for our relationship and our ability to always remember to laugh at ourselves. I never realized how different we were compared to other kids our age until I became an adult and told stories of our prank calls and spitting drinks all over each other in laughter, or how content we always were on 14 hour car rides as long as we had each other to laugh with. We laughed at our bad hair days, or ridiculous lack of style and I'm so proud of how we embraced our not so perfect bodies at an age where it was really hard not to be "perfect". You, my friend, always have a big piece of my heart and you helped me, in a very big way, be who I am today. Thank you!

      Delete